Childbirth & parenting education
When you birth at Prince of Wales Private Hospital you get access to quality childbirth and parenting education.
This antenatal education is essential for mums-to-be and their partner or support person.
During your pregnancy, you have the choice of attending either our face-to-face education ‘Nurtured at Prince of Wales Private Hospital’ or our online education provided by our partner Birth Beat.
Nurtured at Prince of Wales Private Hospital
- Birth & parenting education
- Facilitated by an experienced and friendly midwife antenatal educator
- Small group learning. Numbers strictly limited
- Opportunity for Q&A’s throughout the sessions
- Attend around 32-34 weeks’
- Cost $340 per couple. Rebates available, check with your provider first. Cost subject to change without notice.
- Run over two consecutive weeks:
- Wednesday session 6.30pm-9.00pm (dedicated intensive course, currently on Zoom)
- Saturday session 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 1 Birth session
- What’s normal in the last weeks of pregnancy
- Understanding the process of birth
- Understanding how labour starts
- When to come to hospital
- Labour variations including caesarean section
- Comfort measures for labour
- Medication options for labour
Week 2 Parenting session
- Understanding normal newborn behaviour
- Understanding breastfeeding
- Day to day care with a newborn including bathing and nappy changing
- Safety considerations with a baby
- Support in the community
- Understanding the transition to parenthood and nurturing the parent relationship
How to book
For class dates and to book your place, please email Maternity Bookings on
- Birth & parenting education delivered by our partner Birth Beat
- Online only
- Midwife-led, practical, evidence-based education
- Learn at your own pace from home
- Receive regular check-ins and live Q&A support from registered midwives
- Discover everything you need to know about labour and birthing
- Get practical advice to prepare you for early parenthood
- Access 12+ hours of video content, guides and checklists
- Connect with others birthing at Prince of Wales Private Hospital
- Start anytime from 12 weeks’
- 12 months access
- Cost $397. Rebates available, check with your provider first. Cost subject to change without notice. Afterpay available.
- Prenatal yoga, meditation and relaxation
- Understanding your body and the three stages of labour
- Medical and natural pain relief options
- Birth positions and exercises to make your labour more comfortable
- Breathing and pushing in labour and what to expect
- Caesarean births and epidurals
- Inductions of labour
- Caring for your newborn, breastfeeding, sleep and settle
- Bonus birth stories and videos.
How to book
To book, follow the link:
Classes on the ward
While staying in our postnatal ward, you will have access to a wide range of classes covering lactation support, postnatal physiotherapy, bathing your baby, and transitioning to parenthood.
We run breastfeeding drop-in and discussion classes. These classes provide an opportunity to feed your baby under the supervision of a lactation consultant, while you are in the maternity ward. Sessions may cover common breastfeeding issues, such as understanding how human milk is made, how a baby drinks at the breast, and how to trouble-shoot problems. The group is held in the Education Room, several times a day, Monday to Friday.
A lactation consultant is available on the maternity ward, every day. She can be with mums who require additional breastfeeding support beyond what an experienced midwife can provide.
Our physiotherapists can advise you on:
- pelvic floor exercises
- core strength following childbirth
- assessments following surgical birth
- back care
Baby bathing is usually not done until the second or third day. Bathing takes place in the bathing nursery and a member of nursing/midwifery staff will be available to assist you.
CPR and First Aid Class by CPR Kids
CPR Kids teach Baby and Child CPR and First Aid classes, on behalf of Prince of Wales Private Hospital, at the Westfield Suites at Bondi Junction.
The 3-hour course is taught by paediatric nurses and covers a range of essential topics, including CPR, choking, burns, head injuries and more. It will provide you hands-on practice with baby and child manikins, leaving you with confidence should you ever find yourself in an emergency.
For information and bookings, please visit: CPR KIDS or call 1300 543 727.