Plastic surgery is all about restoring or changing a person’s physical appearance and function. It is an incredibly important field of medicine, and a critical service for people whose bodies have been affected by trauma, disease or birth defects. Plastic surgery also involves cosmetic procedures which, too, can make a big difference to a patient’s quality of life.
Plastic surgery is a very broad field and encompasses many areas including:
- General reconstructive surgery - Often working across different surgical specialties.
- Microsurgery – Procedures performed with a microscope typically involving small blood vessels and nerves.
- Paediatric – Cleft lip and palate, birth marks and ‘strawberry’ marks (haemangiomas), hand surgery, facial injuries, and craniofacial surgery.
- Skin - The surgical treatment of skin cancers, benign lesions and scars.
- Specialised reconstructive surgery - Such as breast reconstruction for breast cancer and craniofacial surgery.
- Trauma - Hand surgery, facial lacerations and fractures.
A Plastic Surgeon is also the right person for any cosmetic surgery, such as:
- Body contouring surgery – Tummy tuck, body lift, thigh lift, upper arm (brachioplasty), post-weight loss surgery, liposuction, as well the ‘mummy makeover’ (a combination of breast and body contouring procedures).
- Breast surgery - All aspects of cosmetic and functional breast surgery, namely breast reduction, breast lift and augmentation, as well as male breast surgery (gynaecomastia).
- Facial surgery - Face and neck lift, brow lift, and surgeries for the eyelids (blepharoplasty), nose (rhinoplasty), chin (genioplasty) and ears (otoplasty).
Plastic surgeries should always be performed by a fully-qualified and experienced Plastic Surgeon in an appropriately regulated setting, like a hospital. Failure to do so can lead to serious complications.
The Plastic Surgeons at Prince of Wales Private Hospital are senior specialists who pride themselves on excellent patient care. All are Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Plastic Surgery, and have additional subspecialty interests. They have completed the rigorous training and have the necessary experience to be called a Specialist Plastic Surgeon, as recognised by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
To find a Plastic Surgeon accredited to work at our Hospital, please refer to the Prince of Wales Private Hospital Specialist Directory.
If you would like to know more about our plastic and reconstructive services, please contact:
A/Prof Mark Gianoutsos
02 9650 4980
Dr Catherine Boorer
Dr Garry Buckland
A/Prof Mark Gianoutsos
Dr Kevin Ho
Dr Jeremy Hunt
Dr Marc Langbart
Dr Sean Nicklin
Dr Naveen Somia
Dr Kelly Thornbury
Dr Sarah Tolerton