Bowel and rectal conditions are extremely common in Australia. The rate of bowel cancer, in particular, is one of the highest in the world. The good news is that 9 out of 10 cases can be prevented with early detection.
Prince of Wales Private Hospital cares for many patients who undergo colorectal surgeries every year. We are led by a team of Colorectal Surgeons with decades of experience treating numerous diseases and disorders of the lower intestine (aka colon), the rectum (section between the colon and anus), and the anus (opening), including:
- Anal abscess, pain and fissures (tears).
- Anal fistula – A tunnel between the inner and outer anal lining usually caused by infection.
- Bowel, rectal and anal cancers.
- Constipation – Difficult or infrequent passing of stool.
- Diverticulitis – Inflammation and infection of diverticulum, benign protrusions on the wall of the large intestine.
- Faecal incontinence – The limited ability to control the urge to pass stool.
- Haemorrhoids – Engorged blood vessels in the rectum which may hang from the anus and cause discomfort and bleeding.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – A condition encompassing symptoms of bloating, abdominal pain, irregular bowel habits and more.
- Polyps – Benign growths in the colon which can sometimes turn into cancer.
- Rectal issues – Bleeding, inflammation, pain and prolapse.
- Ulcerative colitis – Inflammation and ulceration of the large intestinal lining.
Our specialists often perform colonoscopies to diagnose and treat a range of issues. A colonoscopy is a short procedure during which the surgeon inserts a special camera into the anus, with the patient under light sedation, to view inside the rectum and large intestine.
They also perform surgeries to treat more acute conditions. Many of our surgeons use the da Vinci XI® System – a minimally-invasive robotic technique that assists patient recovery and reduces complications.
To find a Colorectal Surgeon accredited to work at our Hospital, please refer to the Prince of Wales Private Hospital Specialist Directory.